In 1935 Sir Arthur Churchman, Lord Woodbridge, gifted to the town of Woodbridge the land behind his property in the town centre for use as an ornamental park. This is the Elmhurst Park we enjoy today. In 1952, in what had been the walled garden of the original grounds, a bowls green was laid and Woodbridge Bowls Club formed, many of the first members coming from the defunct Crown Bowls Club.
The green, which is fully owned by the Club, is surrounded by a boundary wall built in 1812. A Victorian greenhouse was demolished to provide space for the new clubhouse.
green was relaid in 2000 and provides an excellent playing surface.
The Club has about 70 bowling members and participates in both BE and
EBF leagues and competitions. There is also an active Bridge Section
which meets throughout the year.
Woodbridge Bowls Club is the only bowls club located in Woodbridge Town.
The Officers of the Club
Patron: Mrs Mary Wells
President: Mr Ron Page
Chairman: Mr Stephen Attwell
Treasurer: Mrs Janet Moore
Secretary: Mr Malcolm Ord
Woodbridge League - Trevor Branton
Fynn Trophy - Viv Sheppard
BE Mens Triples - Trevor Kirby
Ipswich Mixed Triples League (FED) - Anne Boxall
BE Mixed Triples - Mike Lestrange
BE Mixed Rinks - Pam Jackson